Saturday, October 6, 2007

That Sinking Feeling

All the rain has proven to be more problematic than I thought. As a result of all the water, the footings at the 'wet end' of the house have sunk about an inch.

Before the footings were poured, the forms were level to within 1/4 of an inch all around the perimeter. After installing the first course of ICF blocks, I've discovered that there is now a difference of one and one-half inches from the west side of the house (the wet end) to the east side. This means removing about 75% of the blocks and trimming them down until everything is level again.

The lesson learned? I shouldn't have assumed that the footings were level after the concrete was poured just because the forms were level before the concrete was poured; especially after all the rain. I should have confirmed it. It won't happen again. I hate rework.

No comments:

Post a Comment