Friday, January 18, 2008

Frost Bites!

One of the hazards of winter construction is the possibility foundation movement due to frost heaves. Until a house is closed-in and heated, the footings are susceptible to movement due to freezing, particularly the pad footings because there isn't much weight on them. Also, clay soil is particularly bad for this, and that is exactly what I have here.

The big column that supports the main beam at one end of the house has risen up 1/2" since I installed it on Dec 30th. I've had to remove the column temporarily and replace it with an adjustable steel telepost. That allows me to lower the main beam back down to where it should be. Once the house is enclosed and the ground in the basement has thawed, I'll trim the wooden column to size and then put it back in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment