Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Installing Upstairs Ledger Boards

I'm back to work after a few days off and I've started putting up the ledger boards on top of the temporary walls in the dining room area.




Let me try to explain what I'm doing with these temporary walls. In the final state, the ledger boards are held to the concrete walls with two-piece steel brackets. The first piece gets embedded in the ICF wall before the concrete is poured. After the concrete is poured, the second piece of the bracket gets bolted to the first piece; with the ledger board sandwiched in between. Once that is done, the floor joists can be hung off the ledger boards.

Being that I won't be able to get concrete trucks onto the property for another few weeks because of the snow and mud, I'm going to put up the ledger boards and floor joists before the concrete is poured. The temporary walls that I've built will support the weight of the ledger boards and floor joists until that time.



I've put both halves of the steel brackets in place, but haven't bolted them together. Once the concrete is done, I'll bolt everything together and then pull out the temporary walls from underneath the ledger boards. I can reuse the lumber when I'm doing the framing for the upstairs dormer windows.


The other benefit of doing this is that it will give me a platform to stand on so that I can finish the ICFs on the upper parts of the walls. Otherwise I would have to put up scaffolding; finish the walls; pour the concrete, and then tear down the scaffolding. Too much extra work if you ask me.

1 comment: