Friday, August 1, 2008

Main Roof Girder

The main girder for the roof consists of three separate trusses that get sandwiched together. This girder will support the entire roof of the main section of the house, so it's fairly substantial in size.

I put it all together close to the house so that when I bring a crane in, it should be easy to lift up and put into place. I used the tractor to drag each truss into place, then tilted them up and braced them in a vertical position.

Once I had the first two in place, I screwed some steel braces (from the ICF wall bracing system) to the top and bottom chords of the truss to keep them straight until they were nailed together.




Once I had all three in place, I clamped them together and nailed them as per the building code. The code specifies that there need to be either 2 rows or 3 rows of nails, spaced 6, 10, or 12 inches apart, depending which part of the truss you're nailing. There's about 800 nails holding these trusses together. Nail guns rule!

1 comment: