Friday, December 12, 2008

First Windows Installed

Well, I've finally started installing the windows. In past posts I had talked about problems with the primer I was using for the peel n' stick window flashing. I finally got some of the correct type for cold-weather work... and wow... what a difference. The new stuff is awesome! It's much thicker than the other type... about the consistency of liquid honey... and it sticks like crazy.


I simply painted it around the window opening, waited 30 minutes for it to "skin-over" (kind of like contact cement does) and then installed the window flashing.

Before the window gets installed, you run a thick bead of silicone caulking around the sides and top of the window opening. The bottom is left un-caulked to allow for drainage of any water that might seep in. (If you recall from a previous post, the bottom of the window opening is sloped outwards, again to help drain any water out.) Then the window is nailed into the opening with long roofing nails.

For the first window, I caulked around the opening and then lifted the window into place. It was a bit messy though, the silicone got all over my hands as I maneuvered the window around, so for the second window I came up with a better plan.

I first placed the window into the opening and shimmed it so that it was level and at the same height as the window beside it. Then I put a couple of nails in the bottom nailing flange, but I didn't drive them all the way in. Then I tilted the window outwards a few inches at the top; holding it in place with a piece of cable. This gave me space to work so I could run a bead of silicone around the sides and top (remember... I don't need to do the bottom).

Once the caulking was done, I just tilted the window back into place. I checked it for level one last time, then nailed it in place. With that done, I wiped off any silicone that had squeezed out the sides. It doesn't have to be pretty, because it just gets covered over with a final layer of flashing.

4 comments:

  1. Just wondering what the correct primer was for cold-weather work that you used?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason... the primer is called Hi-Tac by Bakor. Here's a link to the spec sheet for it. http://www.bakor.com/data/datasheets/Hi-Tac.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. I had heard about the product, but was not sure how it reacted to the vinyl windows, or was it the Blueskin that can react. Either way, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete