Monday, January 26, 2009

Front Eaves

It was -18C today, so I spent almost as much time warming up my hands up as I did working. However, I did get some of the front gutter board up and the framing for some of the front soffits done.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Trimming Rafter Tails

The trusses in the main part of the house are attached at the top to the main roof girder. That girder is made up three layers. In theory, the girder should be perfectly straight and a uniform thickness from one end to the other, but in practice it's really not. It bows a bit and bulges in places where there are steel gussets between the layers.

So, even though the trusses are all the same length, the rafter tails that stick out at the front of the house don't all stick out the same amount. They vary by as much as 3/8". Although that's not very much, once the gutter board and fascia are on, the front of the eave would look wavy when you looked up at it.

It's difficult to trim the rafter tails in place, especially when you're only trying to cut such a small amount off the end. The solution was to build a jig that allows me to cut them off with my circular saw.

I measured the last rafter on each end of the house and determined how long the tails should be. Then I measured 5" up from there and snapped a chalk line across the top of all the rafters. (The 5" offset is needed because that's the width of the bottom plate on my saw.)

To trim the tail, I just clamp the jig to the rafter, lining up the front edge of the jig with the chalk line. The side of the jig hangs down the side of the rafter tail. I just run my saw up against the edge of the jig, and it trims the tail to the right length. You can see in the photo below that I've cut about half way through this one, trimming off about 1/4". (Click on the photo to enlarge it.)

Now when I run a string line along the front of the rafter tails, they all line up straight.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Roof Sheathing Up Front

In the last couple of days I've managed to get a few sheets of plywood on the roof at the front of the house.

Friday, January 16, 2009

More Lookout Rafters

While I've got the scaffolding set up inside, I've been working on the lookout rafters on the east side of the house. I've got about 1/2 of the rafters up and the blocking in... all ready for sheathing.



Sunday, January 11, 2009

Inside Scaffolding

I've set up some scaffolding inside so that I can get to work on the roof at the front half of the house. The first order of business is to brace this half's trusses where they attach to the main girder.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Dormer Sheathing

I've finished the outside sheathing on the one dormer that I've built so far. Now I can finish the roof area below it.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Insulation & Ventilation Details

The way the rafters fell for the short roof over the kitchen has resulted in an enclosed cavity over top of one of the end walls. There is one rafter over the outside edge of the wall and one rafter over the inside edge of the wall. You can see the top of the concrete wall in the photo.


Once the roof sheeting is on, of course this cavity would be totally enclosed; with no way for air to get in or out. That's not really acceptable, so I've drilled some 1" holes near the tops of the rafters to allow for air to pass through.

In the photos below, the white stuff you see between the rafters is insulation, not snow. It's the same as the pink insulation that you commonly see, just made by a different company.



Friday, January 2, 2009

The Price Of Taking Time Off

Well, I'm anxious to get back at construction, but there's been tons of snow in the last couple of weeks, and it's going to take me a couple of days to catch up.



Clearing a path to the highway.