Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Rough Wiring and Half-Sistered Joists

Lately I've been trying to get some of the rough wiring done, but this is another one of those jobs where I can't do the main task-at-hand until I finish another seemingly non-related task.

I'm planning on putting ceramic or porcelain tile throughout the house. One of the prerequisites for laying tile is a strong, stiff floor. If the floor flexes, the grout between the tiles can crack. In order to help stiffen the floor, I'm reinforcing all the floor joists by screwing and gluing a 12" wide piece of 1/2" plywood to one side of each joist. (When renovating existing homes, sagging floors are often fixed by installing new joists directly beside existing joists. That's called "sistering the joists".)

Since a lot of the wiring will run through the floor joists, I need to get the joist reinforcement done before I can run any wiring. Once the joist reinforcement is done, I'm able to drill some holes and run my wire through the joists.



4 comments:

  1. I am just curious why you are having to strengthen new joist? I see why this would have to be done in a older home but not a new one? Maybe I am misunderstanding though because it does not seem that a 1/2 piece of plywood would provide much strength. Thanks, and I really enjoy checking in on your blog every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! Thanks for checking in.

    Well, I admit that it might be a bit of overkill to add support to the joists... but it's one of those things that I don't want to regret "not doing" later. It's much easier to do it now; before all the plumbing and electrical is in.

    The engineered joists are very strong, but they do flex a little bit; especially over a 16' span. The plywood does add a significant amount of support, because the stress being applied to it is being applied to the edge, rather than the face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes sense. Thanks for the response.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just screwed down 1/2" hardibacker to the top of my 3/4" subfloor and that made the difference for stiffness.

    ReplyDelete