Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pressure Testing The Rough Plumbing

In order to pass my plumbing inspection, my plumbing system has to be able to hold compressed air at 5 PSI for 15 minutes. I've done a couple of tests so far and I've run into some difficulties.

I pump the air into the drain system by way of a valve fitting that I've put into one of the tee-fittings. The valve is similar to the valve-stem that you find on a tire. In order to connect the valve to the tee, I had to use two threaded fittings to reduce the size of the pipe down to the size of the valve. That's where my first problem occurred.

The best way to check for leaks is to spray a bit of soapy water on the fittings. If there is a leak, it will cause bubbles to form. You can see in the photo below the bubbles around the valve fitting. I undid the fitting and cleaned up the threads and put it back together; this time with more teflon tape. It seemed to resolve the problem.



The next problem I had was with the cleanout caps. The caps have a rubber O-ring gasket on them that's supposed to seal the fitting, but at least two of mine aren't sealing.

You can see the bubbles forming around the edge of the cap. I didn't put any teflon tape on these caps because the gasket is supposed to do the trick; but I think I'll pull this one apart and try some tape on it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, What your doing is amazing. I just happened upon your blog by being on mine and clicking the "next Blog" button at the top of the screen.
    I would one day too like to build a house, but for right now I'm settleing on remodeling one with my wife.(dizmonhouse.blogspot.com)
    Like you I do all the work myself with a little help here and there from my father-in-law.
    Keep up the good work and I look forward to following your progress.
    Jeff, riverside, Ca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff. Thanks for the comment. Yeah... I've come across some interesting blogs myself that way. Have fun with your remodelling!

    ReplyDelete