Monday, April 26, 2010

Front Windows


I installed the third big window at the front of the house on the weekend.  It's fairly big (4' x 5') and very cumbersome to handle.  A very good friend of mine helped me with the first two windows, but I was on my own for this one. 

I used my trusty winch to help lift this one into place.  It worked out well... I was able to string the cable out through the ventilation space in the eaves.  


I attached a piece of 2x6 to the top of the window... using screws through the flange along the top of the window.  Then I attached the winch cable to that piece of 2x6.  That way, the weight of the window was carried evenly across the top of the window, instead of at one single point.

Once I got it lifted up to the height of the opening, I pushed the bottom of the window into the opening and tacked it into place with a couple of nails.  Now that the weight of the window was being supported by the bottom of the window opening; I was able to remove the winch cable and the 2x6.  I then slid the top of the window into place and finished nailing it in.


Sunday, April 25, 2010

Electrical Service To The House

The guys from Fortis BC came and hooked up the electrical service to the house last Friday. 

Finally I would have electrical outlets instead of having to drag extension cords all over the place.

I would have ceiling lights instead of my work-light that was constantly falling over and blowing bulbs at $5.00 a pop.


So, Saturday morning I was ready to test it.  I went to the basement and took a deep breath and flipped on the main breaker. 

For a few seconds nothing happened, then......



Naw... just kidding!  There was no sound... no sparks... and no smoke.  I turned on the switch and the lights came on.  It was all rather anti-climactic really. 


But, I did have to play with it for a while...

[click]  Light goes on.

[click]  Light goes off.

[click]  Light goes on.

[click]  Light goes off.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Catching Up On Odd's n' Ends

The weather has been really nice so I've decided to take advantage of it and catch up on some things outside. 

I set up the scaffolding in the northeast corner and installed a kitchen window and then finished some framing details under the eaves.  The worst thing is that it takes more time to set up and tear down the scaffolding than it does to do the work.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Electrical Inspection

I had my electrical inspection and everything was good except for one thing.  I had originally put my grounding electrode in the soil in the basement, but the Inspector told me that the Electrical Code here specifies that the grounding electrode must be buried outside the house. 

This was something I wasn't aware of, and I'm not quite sure what the difference is; but the Electrical Inspector has been really good to deal with and has been very helpful, so I wasn't going to question him.


So, I simply dug a big hole outside the house and moved my grounding electrode outside.  Easy peasy. 

The Inspector came back and passed it, and I'm good-to-go with getting power directly to the house.