Monday, April 26, 2010

Front Windows


I installed the third big window at the front of the house on the weekend.  It's fairly big (4' x 5') and very cumbersome to handle.  A very good friend of mine helped me with the first two windows, but I was on my own for this one. 

I used my trusty winch to help lift this one into place.  It worked out well... I was able to string the cable out through the ventilation space in the eaves.  


I attached a piece of 2x6 to the top of the window... using screws through the flange along the top of the window.  Then I attached the winch cable to that piece of 2x6.  That way, the weight of the window was carried evenly across the top of the window, instead of at one single point.

Once I got it lifted up to the height of the opening, I pushed the bottom of the window into the opening and tacked it into place with a couple of nails.  Now that the weight of the window was being supported by the bottom of the window opening; I was able to remove the winch cable and the 2x6.  I then slid the top of the window into place and finished nailing it in.


3 comments:

  1. My wife and I installed new windows in our house not that long ago. We attempted to do it ourselves...that didn't last very long. We ended up breaking the first window. We decided it was best to just hire a contractor to do it. We ended up finding a great guy on eContractorBids.com. It ended up working out well for us in the end. No more broken windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to try to install 3 retrofit windows ourselves probably 2 weeks from now (they are set to arrive the 18th). Which is nothing compared to what you're doing! At least you get to face nail it into the fin. Is there some caulking or flashing you have to add or something? Or does that go in at siding installation time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Chacha. Ah yes, retrofit windows are a different beast. There's different ways of attaching them depending on the style.

    At the very least, you should fill any gaps around the new window once it's installed. I like using the spray foam rather than caulk. However, it's very important that you get the spray foam that's made for use around windows and doors. It's a "low-expanding" foam that won't bow the window frames. This is super-important! If you use the regular spray foam, it expands a lot and can bow the window frames inward, making it difficult or impossible to open your windows.

    ReplyDelete