Sunday, May 9, 2010

Octagonal Front Window

I recently finished installing the small octagonal window at the front of the house.  I had to use a lot of peel-and-stick flashing on this one because I had to flash the entire square rough opening as well as the actual window itself.  As with the other windows, I was careful to install the flashing so that upper pieces always overlapped lower pieces.  That ensures that water is shed properly and doesn't get behind the flashing.

The corner pieces are built up with five layers of 5/8" plywood glued and screwed together.  For each corner, I started by joining three triangular pieces of plywood together to make a "block".  I cut the blocks so that they fit snugly between the window and the window buck.  I then glued and screwed those triangular blocks to the window bucks.

Then I added two more, slightly smaller pieces of plywood on the inside of each corner.  That gives me a surface to use for attaching drywall when I finish out the corners on the inside.  I also left a gap between the smaller triangles and the window buck so that I can seal the corners with spray foam.


   

1 comment:

  1. This is shaping up to be one seriously SERIOUSLY beautiful house.

    ReplyDelete